Tobin was a bit up set when we started to take the bed apart and move it into the new guest room. We have grown out of the queen and needed to move up into a king. Clark and Tobin take up too much room and I get smushed.
Look how much room there is for me! Oh the new bed is like heaven! We have all slept so much better.
Clark and I both grew up with parents who believed in the family bed concept. We never planned to do it much because we knew that we won't have the room. We even bought a really cool co-sleeper crib so babies could be close at all times. Then we had Tobin and he came into this world screaming and wouldn't stop screaming unless he was being held up against my chest. I slept sitting up for the first 6 months of his life and after that he has been right beside me. So we started the whole family bed thing out of pure need for sleep and to make the crying stop, but now love it!
I love getting to sleep with Tobin right there. It is a great way to bond with a toddler that never stops moving during the day. Tobin and I are really connected and a big reason for that is that we get to bond all night long. He is easier to deal with during the day because I know him so well and we are so connected. Tobin (as anyone will tell you) is not an easy kid to be bonded and connected too. He is very sensitive and doesn't let people into his little world easily.
We do hope that the next baby will want to sleep with us when she is a toddler, but we have a crib if she doesn't. It is an experience that I don't ever want to miss out on with any of my kids. I know that many people don't like it because then you can never get them out of your bed or they are afraid that it will ruin any private times for the parents. But, it really doesn't bother us and it is really all about being sensitive to our child's needs and connecting with them. Only in the west does each child have its own bed. Families through out history slept together or at least the kids did. Maybe there is a reason besides just being poor or cold for that?
Tobin is slowly starting to transition to his own bed for at least part of the night so that the new baby will be able to get some attention. But, I am sure that each morning will find us all snuggled in bed together as one big family. Oh, such mornings are so great that the little feet in your face the night before doesn't seem so annoying.

2 comments:
We all saw the POWER in prayer and fasting when we as a blog family took a day to do this for the hold on some of the Ethiopia adoptions.. SO I feel that we as a blog family need to do this for Margot (Julies' mom) SO please join me this Friday July 25,2008 for a day of fasting and prayer for Margots healing!!!!
C
"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers."
1 Peter 3:12
The family bed... ahhh! We're not die-hard co-sleepers, but it is certainly in our parenting bag of tricks, and all of our children have done it in certain seasons. We're in a queen right now with James. Isn't it ironic that western doctors encourage us not to do it - for the sake of safety - when for most of human history it has been done - for the sake of safety (warmth, keep baby from rolling into open fir, etc.)?!?
Post a Comment