We got some good news yesterday, my little sister has been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer. I know it seems like that could never be good news, but we were afraid that it would be much worse. This type of cancer is the easiest to treat, so that is the good news.
My sister Jessa (who we named the baby after) is 22 years old and is a senior at college in New York City. She has been sick for over a year with odd symptoms that no doctor could figure out. Last week she was home for spring break and my parents sent her to the doctor again since now she is having fevers. A chest x-ray found a huge mass that has turned out to be cancer.
For those of you who don't know, Clark, the kids and I live in an apartment attached to my parents house so we all kind of live together. So we are glad to be getting to see Jessa more. She is not able to go back to school and will be starting chemo soon. She is doing well considering, but we are all a little shocked as her whole world has been turned upside down. I know that she will get through this and do great, but it will be a long road.
Even though we are 7 years apart in age, we have been best friends since I first got my wish for a baby sister. I don't know of anyone stronger than her and we will all be there for her.

5 comments:
praying for Jessa - right now!
This has just recently happened to my dear friend Kelly, who is 31 and she is the healthiest person I know (she has never even had the flu in her life). She thought she had a running injury but it took the doctors many months to figure it all out. My friend Kelly is actually in stage 2 with an extrememly high success rate with chemo...she has had one treatment so far and is doing amazing. I hope your sister finds a good support group that she can talk to b/c she is going to be just fine. They say "if your gonna have cancer, this is the one to have." I know that sounds terrible, but it shows how treatable it is. I'm sorry that you guys are having to go through all of this, and I will keep your family in my prayers. If she needs someone to chat with via email or facebook, I'm sure my friend Kelly would love to talk. Just let me know.
God bless, Theresa
Wow, thinking of you and your family!
Oh wow. Yes, Hodgkins is good news. Austin was diagnosed with Hodgkin's in January 2004 (we had just bought our first house and he was in the second semester of his Master's at the time.) He had chemo every other week for several months and then followed it up with 15 days of radiation, and he has been cancer free ever since. Hodgkin's is VERY treatable, but cancer is still really startling and scary, so if you (or Jessa) want to talk about it, please let us know- I am sure Austin would be more than happy to talk. It has become a major part of our life history...
I am praying for you guys, and you are definitely in my thoughts!
Sarah,
Peggy Williamson emailed me this week and told me about Jessica. Wanted your whole family to know that Jessa and the whole family are in our thoughts and prayers. Tell your mom and dad also that your family is in our hearts. Cannot wait to hear all the wonderful testimonies the Lord will bring from this temporary affliction! Love, The Cogburns
Post a Comment