Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Latest update from Sarah and Clark. I don't have time to fix all capitalization for her since I'm running after Tobin. Keep praying - especially for the long airplane trip! Susan

Hello from Ethiopia. please excuse my bad typing, this key board sticks and is so hard to type anything with.
As most have you have read we are having a rough go with our little Fikrte. yesterday we picked her up from Hannah's Hope and she cried most of that evening. she slept great though, which is a huge blessing (i know it is because all of you are praying). she woke up twice for a bottle and we got to have some nice night time cuddles. once she even reached up and played with my ear, which is what tobin does all of the time. i almost cried.
she is very happy after waking up and will sit in our laps and let us look at her. other than that we have to be up and doing something interesting or she cries and cries. she fusses sometimes even when i am walking around, but throughout the day it has gotten less and less. she is slowly doing better and i even got a smile out of her.
we are suppose to go back to the orphanage again today, but i am going to ask Almaz (the orphanage director) if i can stay at the hotel with her. i don't think we should really take her back again, it is too hard and she understands. it has been really hard and i totally fell apart last night because she was just so unhappy. i didn't take it personally, I just hated to see her so upset. she loves the orphanage and it doesn't feel good to take her away. i know all of the right things to think and do (i have read all of the books) but my heart is still breaking for her. she is so sad. but i have seen how she is slowly getting better just even today.
please pray for our trip back. 17 hours on a flight with a baby that won't let you sit down sounds horrible. i need a mircle for her and us. (Michelle, do you have any advice?)
thank you for all of your kind words and comments (as well as the prayers). i have been getting the comments sent to my email so i get to read them all. it is very uplifting.
love,
sarah

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

It sounds like you are doing a great job! It's a tough situation and any one of us would be challenged in knowing how to go about things :) I think keeping her back at the hotel is a good idea. This will allow her to begin separating from HH and not have her bonding with you be interrupted each time you return there. Maybe you and Clark can switch off in spending a little time at HH so that you feel like you haven't lost that experience. I think that I would do the exact things that you are doing. Your babe sounds so cute and I can't wait to see photos of her once you are home. We are praying boldly for you back at home. I pray that God places His peace on all of you during the flight and that it goes much better than you ever could have imagined. You'll be home soon and things will be much easier in your own space and familiar surroundings.

Praying,

Sunday

Michael said...

Sarah,
I will be praying for you guys and mostly for your flight. Do you have the seat in the middle??? That was a HUGE help to us....when you check in ask if it is taken, if it is ask them to move you to a place that has the middle open. Are you leaving at night time?? I think most do.....that is also a HUGE help because the kiddos are really tired and they sleep lots. Ethiopian Air is so good with babies. There will probably be LOTS of babies on your way home. They will let you walk around if you need to. Just keep praying over her while you are holding her......I think that is the BEST thing to do for bonding. You guys will do GREAT! It may not be the most enjoyable ride.....but when is a 17 hour flight enjoyable??? You have so many people praying for you guys. Do you have snacks for her??? Crackers, sippy cup?? If not maybe try to get something....even crackers from the hotel. Between eating, sleeping, playing and walking around, she will do GREAT! Sarah, you seem like such a good mom! You are so patient and loving. "F" can feel that and she will start getting happy. Pray, Pray, Pray over her little body, her emotions, her broken heart and for her to attach more and more. Our God led you down this path and He will be with you while you are on it!! I am so excited for you guys to come home!!!!!!
(tell Leanne Hello and that I am thinking about her too)
I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU GUYS!!!!
THIS WILL GET EASIER!!!!!
Michelle
www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Sarah, it is so encouraging to you to see Baby Jessa begin to bond with you....how can she help it...she has never had a nanny that treated her as her new mother does! Bobba and I are praying for your trip that it will be a "God thing" with his grace evident to you and Clark. Welcome home, little Fikrte! Grandma

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I can only imagine your excitement when she reached up and played with your ear! You have so many more sweet little moments like that in your future. My head is full of thoughts with you and Clark every day, and I am praying always. I hope you are able to take in some of Ethiopia, too. Your lives will forever be connected now. Godspeed on your journey back! I cannot wait to see pictures!

Kristin said...

sarah and clark! so glad to hear that you can check this i keep checking back couple times a day to see if there are updates here....still praying and thinking of you throughout every day! we love you guys! hold steadfast! it will just get sweeter and sweeter!!!! God will bring comfort to her little soul...
the
benfields

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Shortly after reading your latest entry I received this e-mail and thought I would pass it on to someone that really needs to hear these things right now.

Hang in there.

Before I was a Mom,
I never tripped over toys
or forgot words to a lullaby.
I didn't worry whether or not
my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom,
I had never been puked on.
Pooped on.
Chewed on.
Peed on.
I had complete control of my mind
and my thoughts.
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom,
I never held down a screaming child
so doctors could do tests.
Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night
watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom,
I never held a sleeping baby just because
I didn't want to put her down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces
when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small
could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.

Before I was a Mom,
I didn't know the feeling of
having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel
to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond
between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small
could make me feel so important and happy.

Before I was a Mom,
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night
every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
I had never known the warmth,
the joy,
the love,
the heartache,
the wonderment
or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much,
before I was a Mom.

PJ Friedel said...

Thanks so much for your updates! It helps me to know how to pray.

And I just think it's amazing that she is able to be attached to the orphanage. Soon she will be even MORE attached to you and Clark. She doesn't even have a clue as to how wonderful it's going to be! :-)

Praying!
PJ

Hurricane Living said...

Praying for you through out your flight. Everytime I've looked at the clock today, I've counted forward to see if you had left yet & how far into your flight you were! You're almost back to the States! God bless you & my prayers will continue!

Michael said...

You are in the air right now and I am praying for you!!!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Praying for a safe and calm flight. Can't wait till you are home...welcome home Jessa!

Sunday